Contents: Forty commercials, running 30, 60, or 90 seconds each. Products and services include foods, refrigerators, automobiles, petroleum products, medicines, travel, insurance, telecopiers, pet food, computers, audio equipment, and voting (public service announcement).
Summary and footage of each commercial:
1. 000-022. Parkay. Male opens margarine container; it says "butter." He laughs.
2. 026-044. World Book Encyclopedia. Woman has encyclopedia that kids can use: "The Used Encyclopedia."
3. 048-066. Morton Salt. Child sees rain, puts on slicker and hat, takes salt out in rain. "When It Rains It Pours." "It Works."
4. 070-087. Mueller's Spaghetti. On Gulf Coast, spaghetti with shrimp. "Nothing Goes With Everything Like Muellers."
5. 091-126. McDonald's. Singing "You Deserve a Break Today." (Not the tune or words familiar in 1990). Copyright McDonald's Corp., 1972.
6. 129-164. McDonald's. Man loses wallet, but with $1.00 in his pocket he can buy a Coke, 2 hamburgers, french fries, and receive change. Copyright McDonald's Corp., 1971
7. 166-202. McDonald's. Cleaners at McDonald's mopping, etc. Song "You Deserve..." Copyright, 1971
8. 204-239. McDonald's. Seeing father off at airport, kids bickering in car, mom stops at McDonald's. Copyright, MacDonald's Corp., 1973.
9. 242-259. McDonald's. Waitress: "Good Morning, America. Come join us for hot cakes and sausage. We do it all for you." Copyright, 1975.
10. 262-298. McDonald's. Kids playing "You're the One," featuring french fries. Copyright, 1975.
11. 302-320. Frigidaire. Refrigator now in new "poppy" color and frost proof. Home Environment Division of General Motors.
12. 322-376. General Motors products. From the research and design center for General Motors, the first hydromatic transmission, Corvette, and Cadillac Eldorado; and now the "Frigidaire touch and cook range."
13. 381-398. Bisquick. Bisquick presents meatball pie, potato pancake, chicken and dumplings. "Bisquick—an idea whose time has come."
14. 402-420. Betty Crocker products. "Suddenly Salad" seasoning for cottage cheese. Five kinds from Betty Crocker.
15. 423-441. Betty Crocker products. "Snackin cake" in 6 flavors.
16. 444-479. ARCO. Atlantic Richfield presents the end of the dinosaur era and the beginning of another era. Animated.
17. 483-500. ARCO. In 1915 3000 windmills lit up Denmark. We could generate electricity the same charming way—until the wind dies down. Arco Petroleum Products of Atlantic Richfield Co.
18. 503-539. AECO. The year is 1991; I live in the underground City. But above ground cars are choking the streets and people. We had a chance to clean up the air in the 1970s. We could have had rapid transportation. We forced ourselves underground. "This is no way to live—underground." Arco Petroleum Products of Atlantic Richfield.
20. 563-580. Nasal spray. An interview with a nose. "Try four-way nasal spray." Animated.
21. 584-602. Trench Government Tourist Office. Brigitte Bardot promotes travel to France on Air France.
22. 606-642. State Farm Insurance is All You Need To Know About Insurance for Your Car, Home, and Life.
23. 644-680. State Farm Insurance. An agent is near, fast, and efficient. Over 9,00 agents throughout the country.
24. 682-718. State Farm Insurance. Song, "Like a Good Neighbor, State Farm Is There." In Hawaii.
25. 722-740. Hat Williams Fruit Pies. Song by Dry-Dels for apple pies by Borden Fruit Pies by Drakes.
26. 742-760. Yodels. With Alex Ramos. Yodels by Drake's Borden.
27. 762-779. Pringles. Pringles and Wise Potato Chips present the new-fangled potato chip. Borden.
28. 783-801. Honda. The 1975 Honda Civic—"what the world is coming to."
29. 802-858. Xerox. Telecopier sends all sorts of pictures, charts, etc., in 6 minutes anywhere in the country. "Neither snow, nor rain, etc."
30. 861-914. Xerox. Police taking pregnant woman to hospital—Xerox mobile printer at work with 280 words/minute.
31. 918-953. HFG. Magdalen Island, 140 miles off the coast of Quebec. HFC office there—a symbol of faith in people and the future.
32. 958-993. Campbell's. Homestyle pork and beans.
33. 996-1013. V-8. Vegetable juice cocktail "Sure doesn't taste like tomato juice."
34. 1016-1034. Recipe. Collie running through meadow. Recipe Hearty Meat Stew—balanced dinner for Lassie.
35. 1036-1054. Spaghettios. Children dressed up as grown-ups, play-act having the boss for dinner—serve Spaghettios, 3 kinds (meatballs, plain, and franks).
36. 1059-1094. ITT. ITT has developed a system to save lives with a mini computer. "The best ideas are the ideas that help people."
37. 1098-1133. ITT. Device to see in darkness for people with Retinitis Pigmatosis (night blindness). Working on pocket size model now.
38. 1136-1172. ITT has developed acomputer-based control system for trains. The German Railroad is testing on the Hamburg-to-Bremen run.
39. 19ft. Craig stereo system. Mobile home belonging to country singer Leon Russell has one.
40. 36ft. League of Women Voters. On Nov. 7 go out and help someone so they may vote. League of Women Voters Education Fund. (Very funny).
Collection is open for research.
Collection items available for reproduction, but the Archives Center makes no guarantees concerning copyright restrictions. Other intellectual property rights may apply. Archives Center cost-recovery and use fees may apply when requesting reproductions.
Medical Sciences Film Collection, circa 1930s-1960s, Archives Center, National Museum of American History