Quinn, Mary Billy Cline, 1902 (date of birth) Search this
0.1 Cubic feet (2 folders)
This collection documents the flying career of Mary Billy Cline Quinn.
Scope and Contents:
This collection consists of the following types of material: aviator licenses, correspondence, pilot's logs, certificates, photographs, and newspaper clippings.
The two folders in this collection are arranged by format. Folder 1 includes paper materials; folder 2, photographs.
Biographical / Historical:
Mary Billy Cline Quinn was born May 5, 1902, in Erie, Kansas. She studied law at the University of Kansas and graduated from the Kansas State Teachers College before making her career in aviation. She held Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI)/National Aeronautic Association (NAA) license #7580 and transport pilot license #12647, as well as sporting and foreign licenses. On July 2, 1930, Quinn set a brief world altitude record for a woman in a light plane, reaching 17,500 feet.
The Aeronautics Department holds several artifacts relating to this collection:
1. A20030022000 - Jacket, Flying, Civilian
2. A20030023000 - Helmet, Cap, Flying, Civilian
3. A20030024000 - Gloves, Flying, Civilian
4. A20030025000 - Boots, Flying, Civilian
5. A20030026000 - Goggles, Flying Civilian
6. A20030027000 - Bracelet, Civilian
7. A20030028000 - Letter Opener, Civilian
Beth Q. Vaughn, Gift, October 2002, NASM.2003.0002
No restrictions on access.