Notes by Barbara Smith and Masatoshi Shamoto for Japanese, Korean, and Chinese selections (4 p. : ill.) inserted in original container.
Performed by various musicians (noted in individual track information).
Recorded by Jacob Feuerring in Hawaii, c. 1962.
Related materials may be found in the Moses and Frances Asch Collection, also held by this repository. Related materials may include correspondence pertaining to the recording, original cover art designs, production materials, business records, and audiotapes from studio production.
101. Etenraku / Tenrikyo Hawaii Dendocho Group
102. Mikagura-uta / Tenrikyo Hawaii Dendocho Group
103. Echigojishi / Bando Mitsumasa and Bando Michiko, shamisens; Mochizuki Hikofumi, narimono drum composed by Rokuzaemon Kineya
104. Raindrops on leaves / erhu, yehhu, pipa
201. Departure in autumn / (from the Cantonese opera "Wong Chew Kwon") Margaret Y'Pang; Raymond Pang; Harry Lee, pipa; William Young, yehhu, Mongolian guitar
202. Drum solo on 9 puk drums / Pai, Book Soon
203. Ja jin muri / Sung, Keum Sun [Song, Kumyon], vocals and kayagum
204. Chook chang manyer / (song) Sung, Keum Sun [Song, Kumyon], vocals and kayagum
205. Kukuri tapyunga / Sung, Keum Sun [Song, Kumyon], vocals and chang koo drum
206. Dugso / (Moro dance from Mindanao, Philippines) Aurelia Viernes and group
207. Benguet bendean / (victory dance, folk gongs from Luzon province) Aurelia Viernes and group
208. Sing kil / (Moro dance from Mindanao, Philippines) Aurelia Viernes and group, bamboos and gongs
FW 8745 Folkways Records
Recordings of music played by musicians from Japan, China, Korea, and the Philippines recorded in Hawaii.
Smithsonian Institution, Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage, Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections, 600 Maryland Ave., S.W., Suite 2001, Washington, D.C. 20024. Call 202-633-7322 for appointment. Fax: 202-633-7019. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org